A significant event occurred in my life the day I learned that our human physiology, our body, is made of consciousness.
"What???" I asked out loud in wonder.
I learned that our human physiology is so magnificent and complex, and so exquisite in its design and makeup, as to be wondrous beyond imagination. We are spun out of unbounded, infinite, eternal consciousness.
I learned that underlying all matter is a vast, unbounded, infinite and eternal field of consciousness called the Unified Field. I found out that modern science started taking this field seriously about 25 years ago and that all matter is unified at this level in a state of perfect symmetry, or balance. The entire universe emerges from this field in a process called "spontaneous sequential symmetry breaking."
Are you still with me?
I also learned that there is another science called Vedic Science. This Vedic Science is ancient, and it has always talked of the Unified Field.
Veda, I learned, means "total knowledge." The home of total knowledge is the Unified Field. It is also the home of all the laws of nature. The branches of Veda, 40 in total, make up the language of the Unified Field, the impulses of this eternal field.
I realized this Unified Field is quite an interesting place. It is not manifest and is full, meaning it is no thing, yet all things in potential. It manifests and permeates all things: the whole universe, everything, while still remaining full and not manifest.
Is this mind-boggling or what?
Now comes the hippest part. I have learned that any human being can "experience" the Unified Field.
Or: So what?
Why in the world would we care to experience the Unified Field?
First, another question.
Have you ever heard that most of us human beings use only 5 percent of our brain, our mind? Have you ever wondered what in the heck the other 95 percent is all about?
This is the beautiful part coming up.
The "experience" of the Unified Field actually unfolds "enlightenment"-higher states of consciousness culminating in Unity Consciousness, the highest state of consciousness. These higher states use that 95 percent of the brain. That is what the 95 percent is there for-to give us permanent, all-time enlightenment.
Now, what is enlightenment? If you were a lightbulb, let's say, your "glow" might light up your whole house and surrounding yard. In enlightenment, your "glow" would be unbounded, infinite and eternal. That would be some glow!
Enlightenment is fulfillment. Supreme fulfillment. Unbounded, infinite, eternal bliss, consciousness, intelligence, creativity, harmony, dynamic peace.
Enlightenment, I have learned, is our "full potential." It is the birthright of every human being to enjoy enlightenment.
Is this good news? I think it is such good news.
In Vedic Science, the Unified Field is called "Atma." Translated, that is "Self"-the Self of us all.
The Unified Field is not something foreign, or even something far away. It is right within each of us at the base of our mind, the source of thought. A great sage from the Himalayas, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, brought a beautiful gift to our world in the form of Transcendental Meditation. Transcendental Meditation is an easy and effortless, yet supremely profound, technique that allows any human to dive within and experience that unbounded ocean of pure bliss, pure consciousness. the Unified Field, our Self.
It may be interesting for you to know that millions of people are practicing Transcendental Meditation all around the world. People from all religions, and all walks of life. Over 600 studies have been done in universities and research institutes validating the profound benefits of Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation Program.
Having this kind of knowledge and technologies of consciousness available to us in this age is, in my mind, a significant event. Yet the "experience" of that Unified Field is the most significant event, because it unfolds what we truly are-totality.
David's movies'inciude Eraserhead, Dune, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive. He is looking forward to Creating World Peace Day, to be held mid-September at the Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa (www.mum.edu).
Copyright 2004 Fairchild Publications, Inc.
Back to the David Lynch articles page.